Home » , , » Google Sketchup Help!

Google Sketchup Help!

Written By shiva on Wednesday, March 5, 2014 | 6:00 AM

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
I guess the theme this week has something to do with pulling myself into the 21st century.

For those who dont know, in my real life I am a graphic designer. Ive been working with the "holy three" for years: Photoshop, Illustrator, and (more recently) InDesign. I can say with confidence and pride that I know these programs inside and out. Ill crank out a tri-fold brochure in record time. Ill put together a 20 trade show exhibit under any deadline. Need an 80 page catalog? No sweat. Shenanigans? I can make you a photo of Barack Obama shaking hands with Rush Limbaugh while getting swallowed by a shark. (Wow, theres an image to conjure.)

Whats the common denominator here? Yeah, they are all two-dimensional media and I am becoming antiquated. Despite my recent (ahem) 3D video, designing in 3D has been a serious lapse in my self-education.

Well, as part of the Steve Improvement Program (SIP), and at the urging of countless people who are way more with the times than me, I have finally decided to start learning Google Sketchup.

Ive been fooling around with it for a few hours now and am totally frustrated. (Frustration: another mini theme for this weekend.) Ive watched a number of the video tutorials, all of which are well produced and have a very soothing ladys voice narration, but I am still floundering. I am stuck in a 2D world in the 20th century.

An appeal for help!

So, you Sketchup masters, help! Hit me up with your absolute killer basic suggestions for beginner Sketchup users. What is the most basic advice you can offer? What is the one thing you wish someone had told you when you started. What was your "aha" moment? Hey, you like to write? Write up an "Absolute Beginners Guide to Sketchup", or "Top 5 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Sketchup", or something, and send it to me — zrammedia(at)gmail(dot)com — and Ill post it here as a guest blogger entry. Youll be read by countless (3 or 4) people and live in digital infamy. And youll be my hero. And youll have good karma for the rest of your life.

*********

Update: I decided to remove the Nails video I posted yesterday. My appologies to those who were offended by it. I should have thought that through a bit more!
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

0 comments:

Post a Comment